Years ago–really–I started this skirt.
I bought the linen, cut out the pieces, dyed the trim with cochineal, in 2014.
I thought about embroidering it.
Then I sewed it up.
Thinking about embroidering it took about two years.
I decided to keep it simple and just use an insertion stitch to join the bottom band to the skirt.
Did I say simple? Ha!
The skirt’s a Deer and Doe Chardon, as I’ve made before. So there was no issue with getting the skirt itself to fit, or doing the pleats.
However, the first time I sewed up the band and hemmed it and the skirt–because both needed to be finished before the insertion stitch could be used to join them–I made it too big by about 1 1/2 inches, and the second time I made it too small by about 1/2″. That distraction thing. Eventually I got it close enough that I could make them match up, and then used the mark-the-stitch-on-your-finger trick to get an even stitch length.
I like it.
Today’s photos brought to you by the theory of performative acts of gender construction/femininity, thanks to the very girly and twirly and pink skirt.